Identity of the British Columbia Wine Region
Regional identity is one of the three pillars of an internationally competitive wine region, along with cooperation and quality.
What do we mean by 'identity?'
- Identity is about a cohesive representation of a region or territory that leaves a lasting impression. It comes before branding, but is at the heart of branding.
- A region's identity is rooted in its values, cultural heritage, stories, and its distinctiveness.
As part of the project, Position the British Columbia wine industry for international growth, supported by Western Economic Diversification Canada, we will gather perspectives on the current and future narrative of the BC wine industry, for future use by the industry in expressing its identity.
BC Wine Region Identity Workshops: November 27-30, 2017
You are invited to attend workshops occurring throughout BC November 27-30, to listen and share with other wineries about yourselves, the industry and your visions for the future.
Sharing experiences will provide space to explore and debate ideas of regional identity for the wine industry, create opportunities from such exploration and propose clear ways to act on them moving forward.
We encourage participation from current and next generation winemakers, winery owners and principals.
Workshop Schedule and Registration
Please register for any one of the workshops by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your choice of location and number of people attending from your winery. Light refreshments will be provided; registration is appreciated so we may plan appropriately.
Monday, November 27, 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Willoughby Community Centre, 7888 200 Street
Tuesday, November 28, 12:00pm – 3:00pm
Vancouver Island University - Cowichan Campus
2011 University Way (Room TBD)
Wednesday, November 29, 9:00am - 12:00pm
Hotel Eldorado, 500 Cook Road
Wednesday, November 29, 4:00pm - 7:00pm
Watermark Resort, 15 Park Place
Thursday, November 30, 9:00am - 12:00pm
The Grist Mill, 2691 Upper Bench Road
Thursday, November 30, 2:00pm - 5:00pm
Shatford Centre, 760 Main Street
The workshop will move through three activities for wineries to explore what identity could mean for their region.
- We'll start with participants sharing their knowledge and experience in response to themes regarding identity, such as terroir and authenticity.
- We'll then discuss how each region in BC is positioned related to the themes, to gain insights on regional strengths and weaknesses, and identify opportunities for development.
- Finally, participants will be asked to articulate:
- key challenges,
- shared visions, and
- actions needed to achieve the visions.
Workshop outcomes will be collated and shared with participants at the 2018 Wine Leaders Forum, March 4-7, 2018 in Naramata, and more widely through regional associations.